Re: Some questions and tidbits

Alan Young (ayoung@teleport.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:29:02 -0700

Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 11:37 PM 6/8/99 -0700, Alan Young wrote:
> >I'm a bit new to the list and AbiWord, so I have a couple of questions...
>
> Welcome. :-)

Hi! :)

> >I've made changes to the Win32 makefiles so it will compile on the DEC/Compaq
> >Alpha NT platform. I also have a binary compiled with Visual Studio 6.0sp2.
> >Who's the lucky person that I should send these to?
>
> Send me the patches, and I'll get them checked in. As for the binary, until
> someone at Compaq sends us a box to run it on, we won't be able to do much
> with it.

Ok. Since 0.7.1 just hit the street, I'll update the patches and send them
in a day or two.

As for the binary, am I to gather that you (as in Abisource) want to be the
only ones to build binaries for the your website? I am willing to offer
build support. I filled out the web survey yesterday and I checked
that particular box. :) If you do not want to have my binaries on your site,
is it ok to have them somewhere else? The reason I ask is...my compiling
Abiword was inspired by some users on the AlphaNT mailing list. Several
are interested in an native XML editor and the HTML and Word97 features are
nice bonuses. So far I have uploaded the binary to the AlphaNT archive
(www.alphant.com) and the members of the AlphaNT list wanted to make sure
that the changes and binary got back to you so when people went to your
site they would know that the port existed.

> >Is Word97 support working? I get lots of complier warnings when
> libmswordview
> >is built. When I attempt to open the test file, I get the "unable to import"
> >dialog box.
>
> Yep, I get a lot of warnings there too. I believe Shaw's current plan is to
> replace that functionality with a cleaner implementation, rather than trying
> to fix them in place.

Ah, that's good to know. I was not sure if is was 32 bit vs. 64 bit issue.

> As for whether it's working, I just tried that document on NT and got the
> same message, so something must have broken recently.

Something weird is going on with that code...Running the x86 binary under
the FX!32 emulator, it can read Word97 documents. However, neither program
will read the test document in the tarball.

> >The uninstall program is not removing the registry associations for .abw
> >files. Is this a bug?
>
> Yes.

Ok, I'll check Bugzilla and file a new bug if it is not already there.

> >Also, to update the documentation I only needed these files/tools from
> >Cygwin to build with:
> >
> > basename.exe, bash.exe, cygwinb19.dll, diff.exe, diff3.exe, echo.exe,
> ls.exe,
> > m4.exe, make.exe, mkdir.exe, mount.exe, mv.exe, pwd.exe, sed.exe,
> > sh.exe (copy of bash.exe), tee.exe, touch.exe, true, tty.exe,umount.exe and
> > uname.exe.
>
> Thanks. Hope you don't mind that we linked to your post from the build
> instructions on the website. ;-)

Nah, I don't mind...

BTW, I like the setup program. *amn easier to work with than InstallShield! :)

Alan