Re: Some questions and tidbits

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:19:48 -0700

At 07:29 PM 6/10/99 -0700, Alan Young wrote:
>Ok. Since 0.7.1 just hit the street, I'll update the patches and send them
>in a day or two.

Great.

>As for the binary, am I to gather that you (as in Abisource) want to be the
>only ones to build binaries for the your website? I am willing to offer
>build support. I filled out the web survey yesterday and I checked
>that particular box. :)

That's what I get for not checking the survey results daily. :-)

>If you do not want to have my binaries on your site,
>is it ok to have them somewhere else? The reason I ask is...my compiling
>Abiword was inspired by some users on the AlphaNT mailing list. Several
>are interested in an native XML editor and the HTML and Word97 features are
>nice bonuses. So far I have uploaded the binary to the AlphaNT archive
>(www.alphant.com) and the members of the AlphaNT list wanted to make sure
>that the changes and binary got back to you so when people went to your
>site they would know that the port existed.

Cool site! As far as binaries go, we're GPL, so it's always OK for you to
distribute your builds in whatever way you wish:

http://www.abisource.com/personal.phtml

In an ideal world, we'd have an Alpha/NT box in-house so we could
automatically build and sell an official/branded/supported AbiWord version
whenever we do a release for all our other platforms, but at the moment we
don't. (If you know who we should contact at Compaq for this, drop me a
private email.)

>BTW, I like the setup program. *amn easier to work with than
InstallShield! :)

Eric will be quite happy to hear that. :-)

Paul