Re: prefix

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:15:15 -0500

Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:

> Hi Abi's!
>
> Umh I was wondering why AbiSuite doesnt install itself in
> /usr/X11R6/share when I have set the prefix too /usr/X11R6 ..

That's just the way "make install" was written. It's very
convenient to be able to completely uninstall the package
with "rm -r /usr/Local/AbiSuite; rm /usr/local/bin/AbiWord;
rm /usr/local/bin/abiword". Removing components from
/usr/X11R6/share, /usr/lib/AbiSuite, /usr/bin/X11,
/usr/local/bin, /usr/share, /usr/doc would be tough
to do by hand, and makes for trouble when the application
actually has to find its components there.

I would recommend using packages to install closely across
the system. If a package is putting things in a place
wrong for the distribution, it's a bug in the package and
can be fixed for only that package.

--
Shaw Terwilliger