Problem with the 'abisuite' Debian package

Decklin Foster (decklin@home.com)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:32:31 -0400

The Debian package of Abiword, (...) is causing problems on my potato
system. Here's the dpkg output:

Preparing to replace xfree86-common 3.3.3.1-7 (using
/var/cache/apt/archives/xfree86-common_3.3.3.1-8_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xfree86-common ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/xfree86-common_3.3.3.1-8_all.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/X11', which is also in package abisuite

<snippage>

/var/cache/apt/archives/xfree86-common_3.3.3.1-8_all.deb
E: Sub-process returned an error code (1)
Some errors occurred while unpacking. <blah blah blah>

It seems to me that /usr/bin/X11 *should* belong to xfree86-common, but
I don't know for sure. I'm going to go ahead and remove/reinstall it
for now, that should deal with the problem temporarily.

Does AbiSource have any plans to keep in touch with the previous
maintainer of Debian's abiword/abi-fonts packages, so that someone can
be in charge of keeping the packages policy-compliant, taking care of
bug reports about the packaging, etc? I hate to take your time away
from doing the actual coding instead of compiling packages.

For more info on that, read this page:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/38/38124.html
The maintainer is Darren O. Benham (gecko@debian.org). Thanks.

--
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to
add, but rather when there is nothing left to take away."