Re: *.abw files across platforms ..

Robert G. Werner (rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com)
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:47:47 -0700 (PDT)

On systems running X it is even worse. The same font can have different names
and atributes depending on the distribution.
However, this isn't a unique problem and the WWW people have handled it by
establishing a hierarchy of font descriptions that vary from the general
(serif, sans serif), through the very specific (Helvetic at 6 points, bold,
italic, and outlined). The browser trys to match the fonts available to those
the document requests. It seems to me that establishing some basic fall
through policies would be the eaisest way to guarantie Abiword does something
reasonable when a document wants a font the host platform doesn't provide.

Robert G. Werner
rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!

Now I lay me down to sleep