Re: abiword file format queries

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:41:55 +0100 (IST)

On 29-Jun-99 Shaw Terwilliger wrote:
>Caolan McNamara wrote:
>
>> This is all for the msword importer, so i need to know what way the
>fileformat
>> tags should be, rather than how to do it with the editor itself.
>
>More important than the file format tags is the original Microsoft
>Word document structure. In most cases with libwv, as I understand,
>XML is never even produced (using the new callback tables); applications
>which use the library just get notified of new document features in the
>stream and they act on them by populating their own in-memory documents.
>In AbiWord's case, this in-memory document is a piece table accessed
>through some population functions, and XML is created only on save.

yes, originally i had some half baked idea of outputting abiword documents
directly, which while a handy feature, its hardly the right approach for the
importer, so i now (or will soon) allow an app using the lib to register to be
informed of events such as paragraph beginning and ending. To test it im doing
the basics of an abiword filter that uses wv. So if im at it at all i might as
well implement the basic paragraph properties, as a proof of concept and then
the the abiword developers who actually know their own file format fill in
the blanks.

So maybe the correct question should have been, what methods should i call to
set the margins of a paragraph :-)

C.

>--
>Shaw Terwilliger

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Balance the consistancy principle with the inconsistancy principle