Re: abiword file format queries

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:03:57 -0500

Caolan McNamara wrote:
> 1)would is be a nice idea to add a title attribute to awml i.e.
> <awml title="Document">, msword has a concept of a document title, which
> gives you something to put in the window title :-)

I would think this would be better done by creating a new
out-of-flow "summary" (or somesuch) tag, similar to how images
are supplied (although I think base64 encoding is unnecessary). :)

Document information like this seems optional, but it would
require adding a new tag (which is often cleaner than adding and
interpreting new props). Jeff will probably be able to offer some
good advice when he's back from vacation next week.

> 2)does the justify paragraph tag mean simultaneous left and right justification?

I believe so, but we haven't implemented the algorithm to do
the layout that way yet. We do honor that tag in the document
though.

> 3)looking at the sample abi documents im confused as to how margin-left and
> text-indent are working ? Is it possible to have the first line of a paragraph
> handled differently from the rest, i.e either more indented that the rest of
> the para, or less indented that the rest of the para, i.e. hanging indent.

To get a good example of this, write a new document in AbiWord, with
some fresh new paragraphs. You could set the insertion point in the
paragraph, and set its left margin to 0.5 inches (or a few centimeters
if
you're using metric rulers) by dragging the bottom ruler tab in. Then
drag
out the top ruler tab back to 0.0 inches to get a hanging indent.

You should be able to save out the document and the paragraph markup
should
look like this (the wrapping is kinda hard to fit into e-mail):

<abiword version="unnumbered">
<section>
a test
of paragraph margin formatting capabilities. Each sentence is here to
serve the
purpose of creating exported content to illustrate margin options. I
will now
repeat. This paragraph is a test of paragraph margin formatting
capabilities.
Each sentence is here to serve the purpose of creating exported content
illustrate margin options. I will now repeat. This paragraph is a test
of
paragraph margin formatting capabilities. Each sentence is here to
serve the
purpose of creating exported content to illustrate margin options. I
will now
repeat. </p>
</section>
</abiword>

> This is all for the msword importer, so i need to know what way the fileformat
> tags should be, rather than how to do it with the editor itself.

More important than the file format tags is the original Microsoft
Word document structure. In most cases with libwv, as I understand,
XML is never even produced (using the new callback tables); applications
which use the library just get notified of new document features in the
stream and they act on them by populating their own in-memory documents.
In AbiWord's case, this in-memory document is a piece table accessed
through some population functions, and XML is created only on save.

--
Shaw Terwilliger