Re: Got it

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:15:03 -0600

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 03:55:36PM -0800, Micah Yoder wrote:
> Looks good. My biggest problem is that it coredumps every time I try to
> load ANY files in the docs directory! The last message is "found font
> [(nil)] in table" and then... coredump. It loads the sample documents
> in the src tree just fine. Only crashes on the /docs files. Weird.

I had discovered this last week, right after the 0.5.0 tarball.
The problem is that some of these documents reference fonts
with capitalization different from the way the fonts are loaded
from disk. The fonts are _supposed_ to be case-insensitive
internally, but weren't. They are now, in CVS. Documents saved
with AbiWord will have the case squashed out of them already, so
many of these documents will work, but since the docs/ contents
were from old versions, some of them triggered this bug.

We really need to release a new tarball. :) Since right after
the 0.5.0 release, I added a whole bunch of dialogs which should
catch lots of font problems. I've also cleaned up a few make
problems (added NetBSD, added a catch for unknown), we have more
accurate requirements checking, and fixed a few bugs like the
font problem. We also have a start at an RTF importer, and
Word97 is coming along.

--
Shaw Terwilliger