Re: Editor pounding

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:38:34 -0800

At 09:44 PM 3/10/99 -0800, Micah Yoder wrote:
>I just gave the editor a good pounding and I'm impressed - it held up
>quite well. I entered in a bunch of gibberish, copied it, and hit Paste
>a zillion times. I then put it into 3 column mode and scrolled the
>scrollbar up and down like mad. It was reasonably fast, though a little
>slow at times (certainly faster than WordPerfect/Linux). I then
>selected a bunch of it and made the font size 72 points and scrolled
>like mad some more. No problems. I also tried several combinations of
>justification and formatting. I've seen several supposedly stable apps
>crash with much less abuse!

Thanks. Our motto since day one for this project is that the app should:

"just work, out of the box, as expected. period."

You know, bulletproof, fast, and no unpleasant surprises or awkwardness.
I'm not sure we're there yet (performance is still not what it should be,
for example), but it's great to hear we're getting close.

>One problem, perhaps you're aware of it: When there is a border between
>one color and another, and you select a region of text including the
>color change and then change fonts on that selection, the text becomes
>invisible. You can still highlight it with the mouse and see it, but
>under normal conditions it doesn't appear.

I just checked Bugzilla and didn't find a bug report (from you or anyone
else) on this, so I tried the following sequence on a current Windows build,
which worked fine:

1. open a new document
2. paste in the following phrase "blue text red text"
3. select "blue text " and make it blue
4. select "red text" and make it red
5. select "text red" and change its font

Sounds like you should log a more precise description of what you're seeing
in Bugzilla, so someone can track it down:

http://www.abisource.com/bugzilla/

Paul