Editor pounding and bookmark idea

Micah Yoder (LYoder@cyberis.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:44:24 -0800

Hi,

I just gave the editor a good pounding and I'm impressed - it held up
quite well. I entered in a bunch of gibberish, copied it, and hit Paste
a zillion times. I then put it into 3 column mode and scrolled the
scrollbar up and down like mad. It was reasonably fast, though a little
slow at times (certainly faster than WordPerfect/Linux). I then
selected a bunch of it and made the font size 72 points and scrolled
like mad some more. No problems. I also tried several combinations of
justification and formatting. I've seen several supposedly stable apps
crash with much less abuse!

One problem, perhaps you're aware of it: When there is a border between
one color and another, and you select a region of text including the
color change and then change fonts on that selection, the text becomes
invisible. You can still highlight it with the mouse and see it, but
under normal conditions it doesn't appear.

How hard would it be to implement bookmarks? That might be something I
could try to get my feet wet in a project like this. I'm thinking
something like this: When you right click in the text, you get the
normal menu (of course it doesn't yet - when will that be implemented?)
from which you could select "Bookmark this...". You'd then get a dialog
box asking the name (defaults to the word(s) after the cursor) and radio
buttons asking when the bookmark should expire - in X
minutes/hours/days, after the end of this AbiWord session, or never.
That would let you bookmark something temporarily without having to
delete it later. The default would *probably* be expire at the end of
the session, but could be changed. That expire thing is just an idea I
had - I'm not sure if any other WP implements it! Seems like it would
be useful. Of course, another right-click menu option would be a
submenu listing all active bookmarks.

I might be willing to try to add something like that, but I'll need to
get more familiar with the code first...

Later,
Micah