Re: X Selection Interface

michael@surfnetcity.com.au
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:25:14 +1100

On Sat, Mar 13, 1999 at 06:38:13PM -0600, Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

> Any suggestions?

This sounds like one of those magical things that the user will learn how to do
after using AbiWord for 5 years. (Or learn when they read "AbiWord for dummies"
or functional equivelant)

There are a couple of simple rules for deciding on how to support such a
feature:

- Have a way to do it that is right in front of the user's face

That could be a button on the toolbar, or possibly in a context menu.

- Try to follow the rules/trends for the native OS

This is a tricky one, as it could mean a lesser learning curve for people who
know their OS, but have never used AbiWord, but it could make things hard on
people who use AbiWord under multiple OSs. See the next point for how to
handle this

- Try to have more than 1 way to do it

This could mean having a keyboard shortcut, as well as a mouse binding, or
having something in the "context menu". Try to have a slow but obvious one,
and a shortcut, which the first hints at.

Something to note: users, in general, are the stupidest form of life on this
earth. For example, on our web site for work, we had an image that says
"Connect Now" on it, and we had many users clicking on it, and wondering why
it wasn't connecting them to the 'net, and just showing them a signup form.

--
-- Michael Samuel <michael@surfnetcity.com.au>