X Selection Interface

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 18:38:13 -0600

I often notice we lack X selection integration, when I want to
throw large chunks of text from other windows into ours.
Adding it isn't particularly hard, I did it a while back before
we had any sort of clipboard. The hard part is deciding how it
mixes with our internal clipboard.

My simple proposal: If we have a selection, we register ourselves
as such with the X server, like any well behaved program.
If we are called upon to export our selection, we do so in
plain ASCII, or other types if someone adds them.

If we receive a mouse button 3 click event, which I believe
is unregistered and will probably remain that way, we just go
ahead and request the selection and paste it in as ASCII (or
other formats).

This way, things never really mix, although there's the limitation
of _only_ being able to access X's selection through the middle
mouse button, which is kind of inconvenient while typing up
a storm of a document. I guess on the other hand, X selection
was designed for use while heavily mousing around in applications.

Any suggestions?

--
Shaw Terwilliger