Re: AbiWord Viewer Mode? (e.g. Netscape Plugin)

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:43:01 -0800

At 02:43 PM 3/14/99 -0500, John Ellson wrote:
>Congratulations on AbiWord 0.51, it is really
>shaping up nicely. I'm particularly impressed with
>the recent Word 97 importer work.

Thanks.

>Question. Has there been any thought of supporting
>a read-only viewer based on the AbiWord code?

AFAIK, nobody on the project has mentioned a read-only viewer. We're so
rabidly focused on making it *edit* better, that I don't think it ever
occurred to us to put in the work to turn off all that editing
functionality.

The prospect of using AbiWord as a handler for email attachments and Web
content is *very* appealing, though. So appealing, in fact, that I think it
may already work on Linux. Have you tried command-line launching abiword
with a fully-specified pathname? :-)

Paul