Re: bookmark idea

Julian Morrison (julian.morrison@virgin.net)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 01:24:49 +0000

Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 11:49 PM 3/13/99 +0000, Julian Morrison wrote:
> >It seems to me like a good idea to implement generic place markers first,
> that
> >can be used in TOC and index marking. then just implement bookmarks as a
> >specific type of these marks. Sorta like <placemarker type=bookmark
> notes="just
> >a generic marker"/>
>
> Bingo. We tend to be terser in our markup, so that'd probably become
> something more like <m type= label= />, but the idea is sound. By
> comparison, my zero-width field explanation sounds a bit trite.
>
> I take it from your markup that you don't think this should be a container,
> right?

Hmm. here's an illustration of how I am thinking on this:

<defmark name='TOC' container levels/>
<demark name='bookmark' point label/>
<defstyle name='heading1'>
<before>
<center><b>
<m type='TOC' level=1>
</before><after>
</m>
</b></center>
</after>
</defstyle>

I'm not too well versed in AWML so swap the pseudo markup for any established
designs :-)

Other ideas: unique marks (only ever one of them at a time), look up page,
contained data, or number of a specific mark (with number formats), look up
the content of the nearest mark of a given type (for page headings - "give me
the contents of the most recent chapter_heading mark")