Re: commit -- a whole mess o' new menus

Eric W. Sink (eric@abisource.com)
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:26:50 -0600

>This one is likely to be a *lot* of GUI work. You're likely to be pushing
>the existing capacity of the GR_Graphics class in order to get all of the
>available characters drawn properly.
>
> - Insert symbol dialog

Correction: Implementing this is not "likely" to push the existing
capacity of GR_Graphics, it's *guaranteed* to do so.

One of the things I've been pondering lately is what it will take to fix
our character encoding problems. I've got a scheme in mind, and I'm in the
process of writing it up so that I can send it to the list.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to implement an "Insert Symbol" dialog
should feel free to do so. Just make sure to insert the proper character
in its Unicode encoding.

Then, feel free to log a bug, griping about the fact that your hard work
doesn't actually *do* anything, since the layout engine and draw code don't
*really* handle Unicode properly. Make me the owner of that bug.

:-)

Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
eric@abisource.com