AbiWord

charn (kgrewal@ix15.ix.netcom.com)
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 18:48:19 -0800

Hi, I am a hybrid Windows/Linux user that needs some help. :). Here is my
problem, right now I have to come back to Windows every time I want to
write something in a word processor and beacuse of that I am forced to
leave Linux a lot. I have been trying to get AbiWord to work so I can stay
in Linux 24/7, but have encounterd some problems. I know it says that it is
not ready for end-users on your web page, but I am really not a end user
have some (basic/intermediate) experice in programing in C, web design and
HTML, but I still was not able to get AbiWord installed. Now I am asking
for your assistance with this problem. This is the error message I get when
compiling AbiWord.

make [2]: Entering directory '/temp/abi-0.5.2/src/require'
Building with [JavaScript: Off Debug: On]
TODO do we need to test for GCS or EGCS and a version number?
glib not found
make [2]: *** [_GLIB_] Error 1
make [2]: Leaving directory '/temp/abi-0.5.2/src/require/unix'
make [1]: *** build Error 2
make [1]: Leaving directory 'temp/abi-0.5.2/src/require'
make: *** [build] Error 2

I have been able to get past this error by editing some code but have not
gotten far, I have gotten to the point where it is "Linking AbiWord" but I
can not get it to go any further. But I think that if I were able to solve
this problem, that one would not occur.
I am running a P120 w/ 80 MB RAM with RH 5.2 w/ TWM and Gnome Panel
running as a Window Manger. I have GLIB 1.2.0 and GTK+ 1.2.0 downloaded and
installed (RPMS) and have all compilers that come with RH 5.2 (basically a
"Everything" installed except a few things, unrelated to
programing/compiling).
I would really appricate help with this problem beacuse I really would
like to get AbiWord installed and running and would love to stop going to
Windows every time I have to type something.

Thanks,
Charndeep Grewal