Re: .7.6

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 12:10:25 -0600 (CST)

> There's also imlib, of course (ftp.enlightenment.org). But I seem to
> remember this discussion on this list once before. Wasn't
> cross-platform the show-stopper last time? Or am I just imagining
> things?

Imlib depends on other libraries for it's image decoding (ie. libjpeg,
libpng, libgif, etc). It doesn't do any decoding itself.

ImageMagick has code for quite a few formats, but it also depends on
libraries for some formats. They are listed here:
http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/www/install.html#extr

This includes JPEG, TIFF, MPEG, CGM, and WMF (using Caolan's library).

The GIF decoding (which isn't covered by that patent, right?) can be taken
straight out of Magick, as well as many of the other formats.
For all the formats it supports (quite a few):
http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/www/convert.html

For most of these things, it's just going to require minor modification of
the Magick code to output to the internal AbiWord image structure (which I
currently know nothing about).

Here is the copyright notice on ImageMagick:
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a
copy of this software and associated documentation files
("ImageMagick"), to deal in ImageMagick without restriction, including
without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish,
distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of ImageMagick, and to
permit persons to whom the ImageMagick is furnished to do so, subject
to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
in all copies or substantial portions of ImageMagick.

I think we can GPL the code (sublicense), as long as we put this copyright
at the top of the source files. Any lawyers present?

Justin