Re: Working on the BeOS port

Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 08:29:33 -0500

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Daniel Joseph Berlin wrote:

> Well, I just finished doing two sound drivers, and am taking a small break
> from working on a development environment, so i thought i'd take a whack
> at helping with the BeOS port of AbiWord.
> What exactly is needed to be done?

Hmm ... well a variety of things, ranging from minor to
majori (all of these BeOS specific) :

In no particular order ... an off the top of my head:

-Timers need to be fixed so that they are serialized and
send to the window which is active. Currently they are
badly broken in the distribution, and only partially
working in my home environment.
See: abi/src/af/utils/*Timers.*

-Keyboard and internationalization. This actually turns
out to not be as bad as I had thought. It is a matter
of writing a couple of functions to handle the UTF-8
characters that BeOS expects and then converting them
into UCS2 (Unicode 16 bit) ... that is on the keyboard
handler side (abi/src/ev/*Keyboard.*) and on the graphics
side we need to add support for converting the UCS2
characters back to a UTF-8 multibyte stream for display.
See abi/src/gr/*Graphics.*

-Hook up the new dialogs to some backing code to actually
do stuff. The dialogs are all built with interface elements
so you might want to grab a copy of that. The main dialogs
that are missing stuff are font selection/zoom/spelling.
We also don't have a paragraph dialog (yet).

-Fix the scrollbars so that they actually scroll better
when you are typing.

-Fix the menu accelerators so that they actually bind to
the right keys (abi/src/ev/*Menu.*).

-Fix the outstanding BeOS bugs in bugzilla.

There are lots of other issues I'm sure ... but these are
the ones that are fore-front in my mind. Other things
that would be nice to address, but are AbiSource wide
in scope are the modal dialogs (we had a long discussion
about this roughly 8 months ago ...) which are screwy
in the BeOS version. Also the use of integers for the
measurement of characters makes the BeOS version look
yucky when zoomed mainly because of round-off errors.

Consider this an open invitation to jump in and add,
comment on and generally help the BeOS port along.

Thomas
Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf