Re: "abiword /usr/dict/words" hangs

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 16:44:00 -0600

On Wed, 03 Nov 1999, Kevin Vajk wrote:
> When I try to run "abiword /usr/dict/words" on Redhat 6.1, it hangs.
> Granted, this is a big file. But I've been using abiword to work on
> files that are also pretty big (~30000 words) and it works fine,
> although these are .abw files, whereas /usr/dict/words is plain text.
> Also, my files have many words, but not so many lines, whereas each
> word in /usr/dict/words is on its own line.
>
> Of course, this begs the question: why on Earth would I want to
> open /usr/dict/words in a word processor? Hey, I don't know...
> it seemed like a good idea at the time.

and a fair test case.... :-)

> I'll put this into bugzilla when it's back online; I'm just spamming
> everybody on the list with this in the meantime. Again, it seemed
> like a good idea at the time. :)

part of the problem is we're not multi-threaded (yet). the importer
just hogs the process until it's done...

the other part of the problem is that we're doing a lot of expensive
stuff (some necessary and probably some that could be streamlined)
(in both the piece table and formatter) as the document is imported.

we were optimizing for the interactive case and figured that we
would push import, export, print, etc into background threads later....

> By the way, many many thanks for abiword. I use it often and like
> it a lot. My main usability issue is that the font keeps switching
> back to 10 when I want it to stay at 12; hardly a show-stopper.
> Thanks!

this is high on my/our pet-peeve list for fixing, too.

jef