Re: wxWin vs. AbiSource framework

Perry Ismangil (perry@trabas.co.id)
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 23:24:55 +0700

On 6 Nov 99, at 20:15, the honourable Jeff Hostetler wrote this about Re: wxWin vs. AbiSource framework:

> There are several (possibly orthogonal) points of view to consider when deciding
> which path (Abi, wxWin, other) to take:
>
> [1] Native Look-and-Feel User Experience
> [2] Insulating Programmers from Platform-/GUI-specific Coding
> [3] Separating GUI-logic/code from Business-logic/code
> [4] Feature/Bug consistency between platforms

Yes, this is in line with criterias we're looking at...

> The significance of item [3] should not be overlooked -- whenever possible,
> all business-logic should be in XP code -- this is frequently hard to do right
> and contrary to the way we were taught GUI programming (where you put the

Yes, OO people talk about Model-View-Controller architecture, but in
reality frameworks forces you to put business logic in GUI logic

> My goals in building abi framework, were [1], [4], [3], and [2], and in that
> order. That is, we were able to minimize platform code as a side-effect of
> [3] and [4], but not eliminate it.

Ah, I see. I wonder what are the priorities of GTK/GNOME or wxWin.

> > For starters, we could try to write a 'minimal' Abi-style app (the
> > classic 'Hello World'), and grow from there.
>
> Yes, that would be great. We started an "AbiHello" app about a 6 months to a
> year ago to provide that very thing, but never had time to finish it. In the
> source tree is abi/src/hello -- the "Hello-specific" portions corresponding to
> abi/src/wp -- the WordProcessor-specific portions of the tree. This is
> terribly out of date, and should probably just be deleted from the tree, but
> you may find it useful.

Actually, that's we've been looking at all this time. I managed to
compile it, but it seems to display AbiWord. In other words, it is
still too complex.

> never had the chance to build a framework and then use it for AbiWord; rather,
> we've built AbiWord and have isolated things which have nothing to do with
> a word processor in a way that (we project) will be useful for other
> applications.

That's what we thought too, so we feel that your 'framework' has
something to offer in the sense that it is office-suite-specific.

> sorry to be so long winded,
> jeff

Don't, I need long winded explanations...

--
Perry Ismangil