Re: Foot notes

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:09:58 -0800

At 06:54 PM 11/7/99 -0600, Stephen Hack wrote:
>I noticed that foot note code has been added to the formatting routines. Is
>anybody working on added a dialog for this?

A while back, Eric added very basic formatting support for page headers and
footers (which repeat on every page). For an example, see:

abi/test/wp/footer.abw

The design isn't entirely complete (first page special, etc.), and to date,
there has been zero UI work done on this. In keeping with our overall Page
View orientation, chances are that the UI will be a modal toolbar which
allows you to edit the header/footer contents directly in WYSIWYG fashion.
If you or anyone else is interested in digging further into this feature,
let me know, and I'll dig up some old design notes to post to the list.

Note however, that the usefulness of headers and footers will remain
*drastically* limited until someone finishes implementing tabs. (Hmm. I
think I just figured out what the next POW should be.)

Paul

PS: Footnotes and endnotes are a different matter entirely. They have not
been added at all. The formatting logic needed for this feature is more
complex, because you have to figure out which page gets how much body
content vs. how much footnote content. Rather than mis-speak again, I'll
let Eric comment on whether he put epsilon or zero design effort into this
particular problem. :-)