Re: field codes

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:30:26 -0800

At 06:54 PM 11/7/99 -0600, Stephen Hack wrote:
>Also, where are the field codes implemented?

Fields are another place where there's been some useful file format and
layout work, but very little GUI effort. Most of the relevant logic is in:

abi/src/text/fmt/xp/fp_Run.cpp

The fp_FieldRun class currently supports only a few field types (time,
page_number, and page_count), and I'm not sure that more than epsilon design
effort has gone into the syntax needed for supporting additional fields.

It shouldn't be hard work, though, and should allow fairly rapid
implementation of some or all of the following user-friendly dialogs:

Insert | Page Numbers
Insert | Date and Time
Insert | Field

Of the three, only the last is likely to require any significant thought.

>I would like to add the toggle
>field codes (Options | View | View/Field Codes).

What does that feature do? Change the display of the field contents from
the calculated text to something else?

If so, I'm expecting that it'd be a lot like View / Show Paragraphs, which
would optionally add drawing logic for other run types:

- slugs for spaces
- arrows and lines (fp_TabRun, fp_LineBreak, fp_ColBreak, fp_PageBreak)
- funky P symbol (after each paragraph)

Of these, only the P will need a new run type, so that it'll be selectable
in the right font, etc.

Paul