Re: design -- multiple languages in the same document

Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 07:42:28 -0500

Paul Rohr wrote:

>Does the Word file format always indicate the content language, or only when
>the charset varies? (I thought I remembered a finer-grained UI for
>indicating specific languages within a charset, but it's been a while.)

I don't remember what Word does, but in FrameMaker, language can be a
paragraph attribute that overrides the document's language setting.
Setting the language to "None" in a paragraph tells the spell checker
to skip that paragraph. It's very handy for code, output, or other
literal information that would likely be flagged otherwise. This has
a beneficial side effect -- your personal dictionary doesn't get clogged
with junk, or the checker doesn't stop at every instance of
"op gt lockout foo."

Given a choice, I would make it a character rather than a paragraph
attribute. Then the checker could skip stuff inside a paragraph as well.

Larry