Re: design -- multiple languages in the same document

Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:16:16 -0800

At 07:42 AM 11/10/99 -0500, Larry Kollar wrote:
>I don't remember what Word does, but in FrameMaker, language can be a
>paragraph attribute that overrides the document's language setting.
>Setting the language to "None" in a paragraph tells the spell checker
>to skip that paragraph. It's very handy for code, output, or other
>literal information that would likely be flagged otherwise. This has
>a beneficial side effect -- your personal dictionary doesn't get clogged
>with junk, or the checker doesn't stop at every instance of
>"op gt lockout foo."

Hmm. So instead of having to Ignore each word there, you can select a whole
region to be skipped. Sounds like it could be useful.

(I'm not sure whether there's an ISO language/local code for None, but I'm
sure we can hack something up.)

Given what Stephen's been doing recently with the Options UI, I should ask
the obvious question -- do they have a way to clear that setting globally
(the equivalent of the recheck everything button)? If not, how does their
UI let you figure out which portions of the document have this bit set?

>Given a choice, I would make it a character rather than a paragraph
>attribute. Then the checker could skip stuff inside a paragraph as well.

Yeah, character-level makes much more sense.

Paul