Re: ASSERT(nosplash is an argument, not an option)

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.sourcegear.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:17:48 -0600

Paul Rohr wrote:
> We deliberately chose to show the splash *before* the app even exists so
> that it'd come on-screen as fast as possible. Delaying that until we've got
> enough of the app constructed to load preferences would be a bad thing. The
> whole point of showing the splash is to cover the time it takes to get the
> rest of the app up and running.

I'll assert that if it takes AbiWord more time to start up than it takes
a splash screen to appear, we're doing something wrong in the loading.
I've never waited for AbiWord to load; honestly, the splash screen
annoys me a lot, and I'd love to have an option for it in the prefs. :)

A simple wrapper script or an alias doesn't cut it for me. I run
AbiWord from the strangest places during development (from debuggers,
from installed directories, from fresh builds off new source trees,
from alternate installs, etc.) that the only "centralized" location
for "no splash please" is ~/.AbiSuite/.

--
Shaw Terwilliger