Re: ASSERT(nosplash is an argument, not an option)

Logan Hall (warrior514@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:24:05 -0700

Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

> Paul Rohr wrote:
> > We deliberately chose to show the splash *before* the app even exists so
> > that it'd come on-screen as fast as possible. Delaying that until we've got
> > enough of the app constructed to load preferences would be a bad thing. The
> > whole point of showing the splash is to cover the time it takes to get the
> > rest of the app up and running.
>
> I'll assert that if it takes AbiWord more time to start up than it takes
> a splash screen to appear, we're doing something wrong in the loading.
> I've never waited for AbiWord to load; honestly, the splash screen
> annoys me a lot, and I'd love to have an option for it in the prefs. :)
>
> A simple wrapper script or an alias doesn't cut it for me. I run
> AbiWord from the strangest places during development (from debuggers,
> from installed directories, from fresh builds off new source trees,
> from alternate installs, etc.) that the only "centralized" location
> for "no splash please" is ~/.AbiSuite/.
>
> --
> Shaw Terwilliger

That is what i have noticed too. Abi and the splash come up at the same time and
abi sits there while i wait for the splash to dissapear. that was my orginal
intention in suggesting the option.

--

---- Logan Hall