Re: commit -- auto-save profile by default

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:19:59 -0600

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999, Paul Rohr wrote:
> AutoSavePrefs now set by default, so that missing profile can be created
> from builtin defaults on shutdown. May fix #587.
>
> M src/af/xap/xp/xap_Prefs.h
>
> Jeff, I noticed your comments in the code about keeping this default off,
> but I don't understand the rationale. (Call me brainwashed, but I think
> autosaving prefs is *exactly* what the Church Secretary wants. Ditto for
> the MRU menu, etc.)

oh, 'tis just a pet-peeve of mine. there are some M$FT apps where
they are overly aggressive in automatically persisting various things
(such as window size, placement, decorations, etc) that I consider to
be a temporary/transient thing.

i guess i believe that a "change this" and "make this the default" are
2 independent actions -- which some people will consider to be a
single atomic event.

i erred to the conservative side. making them atomic by default is ok
as long as i can turn it off.....

jeff