Re: some graphic support, extra subdir, extra files, loads of

Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:20:59 -0500

At 3:51 PM -0600 11/22/99, Justin Bradford wrote:
>I'm not sure how this will work out cross-platform,

ImageMagick (which includes libJPEG and libPNG) works on just
about any platform you'd like - it's very portable!

>but these are
>libraries we will want for graphics importers, anyway-- unless the plan is
>to strip out only relevant code for the graphics import.

I would think that using ImageMagick for the image importing
features in AbiWord would be an excellent approach to the problem.
And with Magick++ (the C++ api's to ImageMagick), conversion is only
a few (3!) lines of code!

>I believe AbiWord will use SVG (the w3c format). It's a nice, XML-based
>format and should become more widely used.

As it's about to be finalized, it should get more and more
support. All of the major graphics players (Adobe, Macromedia,
Microsoft, etc.) are all supporting it for future software releases.

>I'm not sure how good it is for
>conversion purposes, however (ie. whether there are many utilities to go
>from this to other formats).

Depends on what those other formats are. SVG to PDF is
pretty easy (I've written one of these), but to something like WMF or
PICT you are bound to lose a lot since the imaging models are so
different.

Leonard

You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol Internet: leonardr@lazerware.com
America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65