Re: some graphic support, extra subdir, extra files...

Leonard Rosenthol (leonardr@lazerware.com)
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:16:55 -0500

At 5:01 PM +0000 11/22/99, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>libwv now has some extra files, escher graphics file format related.
>It also has a new magick subdir which is subset of ImageMagick
>which my configure script will search for, and imagemagick is what wv
>wants.

Make sure you are using the new 5.0 version of ImageMagick -
the ability to use disk caching of large images is worth it in and of
itself...(not to mention all the bug fixes that have taken place!)

>If wv cannot find imagemagick it will function fine with the tiny
>subset in the magick subdir. The subset can only convert bmp to
>jpg which is necessary for the html conversion, though maybe
>unnecessary for anyone else.

Why not do bmp->png instead? That way you'll still get good
web support AND AbiWord will be happier since it already understands
PNG files...

>Things get slightly messy here. My own internal magick clone will
>need libjpeg to function correctly.

Again, since AbiWord already incorporates libPNG, this would
be another advantage to switching to PNG from JPEG.

>Also it would be nice to convert wmfs (which are vector) into a useful
>exiting vector format,I was thinking of using the plotutils to convert
>them into other formats,

I am not familiar with plotutils, what's the scoop?

>I am undecided as yet how to handle wmf from inside wv. Has abi any plans
>for supporting a particular vector format ?

In the meantime, ImageMagick support wmf files based on some
code from a little "hack" called wmf2gif ;).

Leonard

You've got a SmartFriend in Pennsylvania
Leonard Rosenthol Internet: leonardr@lazerware.com
America Online: MACgician
Web Site: <http://www.lazerware.com/>
FTP Site: <ftp://ftp.lazerware.com/>
PGP Fingerprint: C76E 0497 C459 182D 0C6B AB6B CA10 B4DF 8067 5E65