Re: some graphic support, extra subdir, extra files...

Caolan McNamara (Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:16:16 -0000 (GMT)

On 23-Nov-99 Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>At 5:01 PM +0000 11/22/99, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>
> Why not do bmp->png instead? That way you'll still get good
>web support AND AbiWord will be happier since it already understands
>PNG files...

I never really paid much attention to png properly, until now I have
assumed that it was an 8bit only format. Some checking throws up that
it also handles up to 48bit (though what youd do with 48 bit escapes me)
so it does make more sense to support png. I will make that change.

>>Also it would be nice to convert wmfs (which are vector) into a useful
>>exiting vector format,I was thinking of using the plotutils to convert
>>them into other formats,
>
> I am not familiar with plotutils, what's the scoop?
>

>>I am undecided as yet how to handle wmf from inside wv. Has abi any plans
>>for supporting a particular vector format ?
>>
> In the meantime, ImageMagick support wmf files based on some
>code from a little "hack" called wmf2gif ;).

yeah, but wmf2gif looses the vectorness of the original wmf. My belief is
that plotutils can be used as a drawing api for the libwmf library giving
me conversions into other vector formats for free. E.g. fig handling (which
would be a plus for abi as well, it would get import of fig for free),
postscript and replace the existing gif support. I cannot confirm that the
library would be suitable yet, but it looks nice from a cursory glance. It
also webcgm which might be handy as well. Its just a thought. I reckon it
better to take an existing gnu library and add whatever vector formats are
lacking to it rather than create a new one from scratch.

C.

Real Life: Caolan McNamara * Doing: MSc in HCI
Work: Caolan.McNamara@ul.ie * Phone: +353-86-8790257
Use 'unqualified' people