Re: some graphic support, extra subdir, extra files, loads of Makefile breakage

Dennis Jakobsen (brunis@stofanet.dk)
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:34:03 +0100

>On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>> clean api. I believe that gnome is using it itself as a replacement
>> for the internals of the existing imlib thing, which usually falls
>> back to the netpbm tools for most of its conversions.

>We aren't, we just have a simple library that has loadable modules for
>each of the major image formats. It's just a trivial thing, 3000 lines of
>code total. The only annoying part is that libgif doesn't do progressive

this basically the same problem as with the Dictionary. You see, BeOS uses
something called Translators, similar to the Amiga's Datatypes. This is
wonderful. You only have to support this "plugin" system once and just write
more translators. Ofcourse this is not a viable solution for cross platform
specific code, just like the ispell discussion. (i'm getting to my point soon
i swear!) So what i'm getting at is this. Do these things on a per OS basis.
If the OS has Translators.. well. support them and cut out the unnessecary BS
from the code. If the OS has ispell already.. well.. you get the picture!

is that too hard/complicated?

regards,

Dennis Jakobsen