Re: [patch] compressed abw files

Subject: Re: [patch] compressed abw files
From: Logan Hall (warrior514@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 20:12:55 CST

> This sounds like a very cool patch, but I wonder about the need to create
> a new extension. It seems more logical (to me) to name the files like
> ".abw.gz", similarly to how Gimp names its native files (".xcf" if normal,
> ".xcf.gz" if compressed). I haven't visited the file open/close dialogs
> and related guts recently, but I think our suffix handling would break on
> my example case (usually we just start on the end of the string and walk
> back until we see a '.').
>
> --
> Shaw Terwilliger

I think it would work even better if abi could support both extensions, like
gzip and gunzip support
tar.gz and tgz. It supports those for the reason of attempting to not
truncate names on systems that cant handle long names. I don't think abi
will have that problem but it might be useful to support both just in case.
That is if it is easy enough to support both.

--

---- Logan Hall