Re: localization

Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:54:00 -0500

> why abiword doesn't use gettext() for localization messages? I think
> that locale-related stuff is a standard way for i18n. There are many tools for
> manipulating with catalogs. Furthermore, you can use local format date, currency, ...

Choosing gettext() might have been the right choice for a Linux
application, but AbiWord runs on multiple platforms. It has often
been necessary for us to invent solutions which are carefully designed
to be friendly to Linux *and* Windows, not to mention the numerous
other UNIX flavors, and even BeOS.

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation