Re: Layout

Justin Bradford (justin@ukans.edu)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:19:37 -0500 (CDT)

> An alternative approach would be to perform all calculations at much
> higher resolution, scaling down to the resolution of the destination
> device for things like drawing and mouse interaction.

I like that idea, and if we do that, I suggest just using twips (1440
dpi). I've just recently (mostly last night) written a graphical/
flowchart/planning/diagramming educational thing (it's weird), which had
to do all sorts of layout and positioning of graphics primitives and text.
I used twips, and with a doubleword, I could square the number and still
use 4 bits for fixed point math (positioning to 1/16th of a twip, which
might have been overkill).

Oh, and I used wxWindows, which is pretty impressive. I'm going to be
making a Mac version of this program, too, which wx will hopefully handle
as well as it did GTK and Windows (ie. basically just recompiling). With
my newly accumulated wx knowledge, I'm interested in porting AbiWord to it
when I have more free-time (probably beginning of next year), specifically
to get a working Mac port. With some help, I'll bet it could be up to par
(assuming no problems with wxMac) with the other ports in under a month.

Justin