Re: cyrillic

Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:04:00 -0500

Paul Rohr wrote:

> At 09:16 PM 10/5/99 +0400, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> >Could anyone point me out where I can start modyfying AW sources in
> >order to make it work with non-ASCII symbols. Till now it crashes ... I
> >could try to hack it. I am fond of free word processor but I really need
> >russian documents!
>
> Sergey,

with my latest set of check-ins it (available now in CVS or in the
any-day-now 0.7.6 release), it should no longer crash or assert.
it will, however, probably display the wrong glyph on the screen
for non-latin-1 characters.

> Thanks for offering to help with the non-ASCII hacking. We've always wanted
> AbiWord to work with charsets other than Latin-1, but haven't had much time
> to deal with those issues. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

please let me know which platform you're interested in working on
and i can point you in the right direction.

> To get you started, Jeff plans to spend some time in the next few days
> fixing one of the first known problems, which is that we've got fixed-size
> char width buffers deep in the font-measuring code which prevent us from
> measuring more than the first 256 characters. (Among other things, that
> means we can't do bullets, because they're somewhere up around unicode 2021
> or so).

fixed.

> With that out of the way, he'll be able to turn on a bunch of the input
> methods for Latin-[234], etc. keyboard characters that are currently #if 0
> in the following file:
>
> abi/src/wp/ap/xp/ap_EditMethods.cpp

fixed.

> I'm sure that more work beyond this will be needed for handling Cyrillic,
> but with this as a starting point, I suspect that Jeff will be able to give
> you more specific pointers about where in the code to go.

yes, let me know your platform preference and we'll
take it from there. you might also verify that you
can load the test document (abi/test/wp/Unicode1.abw)
and see how it looks.

thanks
jeff