Re: Funded research team ready to start

Eric W. Sink (eric@sourcegear.com)
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:15:44 -0500

> So, in short, we come across AbiSource and its AbiWord at 0.7.5, and
> have since played with it. Since our goals are mutual, it is natural
> that we'd like to join forces with you in creating an open source
> office suite. We have several academic staff as part-time software
> engineers on the projects, and plan to hire full-time programmers,
> and of course we also have those hordes of CS students you mentioned.

Way cool.

> * Helping with AbiWord
>
> This is clear enough, what with the POWs etc. We'll try to help
> spread the word in our institution.

This feedback is gratifying to hear. Folks have worked hard to make
sure that it's easy for people to be a part of abiword-dev.

> As a result, we are
> strongly considering taking up the challenge of porting AbiWord to
> wxWin.

You may find some resistance to this idea from others on the list, but
I strongly encourage it. This is a pet project of mine which I have
hoped to see as reality. WxWindows has come a long way.

As I've said in the past, my enthusiasm for a wxWindows port of
AbiWord should not be taken as a commitment that the project would
abandon the native ports. That's a separate decision, and it's not
mine to make. I can virtually guarantee that it won't happen until
there is a working, high-quality wx port. So, no project management
promises are being made here -- I just want to see it happen.

> * Other parts of the suite
>
> We have assigned people to start thinking about the spreadsheet,
> presentation, and database. Is there any way we can collaborate on
> this? We may be able to accelerate development in this area if we
> work together, or maybe we can even take over on this area.

Nutshell overview of our [vaporious] plans for other apps:

Spreadsheet -- Gnumeric as a core.

Database -- Grab the newly GPL'd engine from MySQL and create a GUI
for it.

> Thank you and please excuse the English.

No apology necessary -- your English seems to be excellent.

--
Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation