GNOME port (good and bad news...)

CUENCA ABELA Joaquin (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:13:21 +0200

Ok, first the bad news. My last message about the GNOME port was a
false alarm (I was confused by a old executable of abiword).

Now, the good news. NOW, I've just finished the GNOME port (you known,
using the gnome classes inherited of the gtk ones scheme). Look at
<http://www.ie2.u-psud.fr/~cuenca/screenshots.html> for two new
screenshots, the find and the replace ones (ok, their spanish
equivalents!). If you're wondered by the horiz. size of the replace
dialog, try that:

export LANG es
abiword

And fire the Edit/Replace dialog box. If you're too lazy to follow
these steps, I can tell you the result:

<asciiart>
| Buscar | | |
| x Diferenciar mayusculas/minusculas |
| Reemplazar por | | |
| |
|------+ +------------+ +-----------------+ +----------+ |
|iente | | Reemplazar | | Reemplazar todo | | Cancelar | |
|------+ +------------+ +-----------------+ +----------+ |
</ascciart>

The problem is in the "iente" button... It has to be "Buscar
siguiente". The dialog box is good for the english buttons, but it's
too small for the spanish ones. I guest that a Portugues, French, ...
user will have the same problem. So, in short, don't hardcode the size
of the dialog boxs ;)

And, I've a last comment about the GNOME port... I've cheated...
there're a few places where I've leaved the #ifdef's statements...
look, that is the actual scheme of the classes (for example, let's take
the *_APP):

XAP_APP

XAP_UNIX_APP <- with gtk code

AP_UNIX_APP <- with gtk code

And we want to have the gnome stuff inherited of the gtk stuff, so we
finish with a scheme like this one:

XAP_APP

XAP_UNIX_APP
| |
AP_UNIX_APP XAP_UNIXGNOME_APP
| |
AP_UNIXGNOME_APP <-- This class HAS TO inherit from the
XAP_UNIXGNOME_APP *AND* the AP_UNIX_APP ones

Do you see my problem?

My choice has been inherit AP_UNIXGNOME_APP from AP_UNIX_APP, and leave
the #ifdef's in XAP_UNIX_APP (there are only TWO #ifdef HAVE_GNOME). I
think that this is the fastest and cleanest solution. If I'm making a
stupid error, please email me with a solution.

When I'll clean a bit the Makefiles and sync with the cvs code, I'll
release a patch with all this stuff.

PS.: This is a relatively large email, and my english is terrible, so if
some stuff is not understandable, please email me. I'll try to explain
the confusing bits.

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr