POW -- Usability Test #1 report

Chris Sawer (chris.sawer@usa.net)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:22:07 +0100 (BST)

I use AbiWord quite a bit, as Linux is the sole operating system on my
machine I don't have the "easy option" of using Windows for tasks such
as word processing! I upgraded to AbiWord 0.7.6 this week and my
observations below are based on this version.

System specifications: Intel Pentium 120 running Linux 2.2.13, GlibC
2.0 and October Gnome. Window Manager is Sawmill 0.14.2. AbiWord 0.7.6.

I didn't write a letter but used AbiWord over the course of the week to
produce several documents. The feature that annoys me most is the fact
that AbiWord is not fully WYSIWYG. The appearance on screen is not
necessarily identical to how the document appears printed - it seems
that the text gets bigger or the print margins get bigger as often
things spill onto more lines when printed than they do on the screen.
If the document spills onto a further page when printing, then this
last page (typically with a line or two at the top) doesn't print,
which is most annoying.

Perhaps even worse is the fact that producing simple tables using tab
stops doesn't work, as when I've lined everything up nicely in Abi, I
go to print and the positions of words are all messed up; they're often
shifted forwards by one tab stop.

Only being able to insert "PNG" graphics is a pain (I'd like to be able
to insert GIFs, JPEGs, etc. and be able to scale them ideally) - vector
graphics (eg. EPS) would be very handy.

The other things that annoy me could be classified as bugs; I'll add
them to bugzilla as soon as I can work out how to list what's already
been added to check that they haven't already been added:

Only graphics on the first page of a document are printed.

Occasionally, word spacing is messed up following a hyphen (-),
although not always immediately following it.

Apart from these, I think AbiWord is a brilliant program and you're all
doing a great job on it!

Thanks,

Chris

--