Re: Full featured ?

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:56:12 +0100 (GMT)

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, kiely wrote:

> I apologize if I seem to be looking a gift horse in the mouth.
> However, your website and "advertising" say the word processor is full
> featured, e.g. paragrah control, column control, etc. Than I discover
> this is not yet true. Still lacking the code and updated version.
> So, when is there likely to be a new version with the already claimed
> features ?

Most of what's inimplemented is "just" GUI code. The examples that you
give (paragraph and column control) are almost fully usable using only
the toolbars. Version 0.7.6 has a very nice paragraph dialog, too.

Maybe the next version will the features that you want, or maybe you'll
have to longer.

> Again I realize this is a freebie

Actually, that's not true. It's Free Software (see
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for an explanation of why we
make this distinction).

> and an experiment.

Tell that to the people who expect to make a living from it :) AbiWord is
being developed under a business model which is still a little uncommon,
but nevertheless it is being developeed with the intention that Sourcegear
(and others, if they choose) will be able to make money through the
support and developerment of the product.

And good luck to them, I say.

Matthew.
- abiword-dev lurker and silent tester
Maybe I'd file a bug report sometime if I could find any :)