Re: LaTeX export bugs closed

Subject: Re: LaTeX export bugs closed
From: Larry Kollar (kollar@alltel.net)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 21:23:22 CDT

Joaquín Cuenca Abela wrote:

>I think that LaTeX is a target a bit "special". Some properties, like
>"colors" and "images" can not be exported to LaTeX, i.e. there are no
>LaTeX source that can generate a DEVICE INDEPENDENT file with colors,
>but if we suppose that the final LaTeX output will be postscript
>(generated by dvips) then we can export colors and images (but the
>images have to be converted to eps format).

I've been fiddling with LyX and LaTeX lately. If I've learned one
thing, I've learned that just about anything you want to do in
LaTeX is most likely available if only you know which package to
look for. (Finding it is the hard part. :-)

Anyway, I think if you put \usepackage{color} in the pre-
amble, you have color support. Likewise, there is probably support
for PNG, GIF, TIFF, or whatever (besides PostScript). Hunt around
at <http://www.ctan.org/>, or do a Deja search on comp.text.tex
and you'll likely find the right package(s).

> but maybe there is a method to use a postscript font if
>we know that the output will be ps, but I cann't imagine a such method
>(and I've read the TeXBook three times).

Since we're talking LaTeX here, try \usepackage{psnfss} in
the preamble. That tells LaTeX to use PostScript fonts.

>But even with the actual subset, the LaTeX exporter is useful (at least
>I think so).

I wouldn't put very much effort into getting exported LaTeX to
exactly resemble what Abi would print. People who are exporting
to LaTeX probably have specific needs, or are wanting to do
something that AbiWord won't do easily. But yes, I suspect that
people who need it will find it useful.

Don't get the idea that I'm some TeXpert or anything; I happened
to stumble across these while looking for other stuff.

        Larry