Re: LaTeX export bugs closed

Subject: Re: LaTeX export bugs closed
From: Joaquín Cuenca Abela (cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 09:13:35 CDT

Larry Kollar wrote:

> Joaquín Cuenca Abela wrote:
>
> >I think that LaTeX is a target a bit "special". Some properties, like
> >"colors" and "images" can not be exported to LaTeX, i.e. there are no
> >LaTeX source that can generate a DEVICE INDEPENDENT file with colors,
> >but if we suppose that the final LaTeX output will be postscript
> >(generated by dvips) then we can export colors and images (but the
> >images have to be converted to eps format).
>
> I've been fiddling with LyX and LaTeX lately. If I've learned one
> thing, I've learned that just about anything you want to do in
> LaTeX is most likely available if only you know which package to
> look for. (Finding it is the hard part. :-)
>
> Anyway, I think if you put \usepackage{color} in the pre-
> amble, you have color support. Likewise, there is probably support
> for PNG, GIF, TIFF, or whatever (besides PostScript). Hunt around
> at <http://www.ctan.org/>, or do a Deja search on comp.text.tex
> and you'll likely find the right package(s).
>
> > but maybe there is a method to use a postscript font if
> >we know that the output will be ps, but I cann't imagine a such method
> >(and I've read the TeXBook three times).
>
> Since we're talking LaTeX here, try \usepackage{psnfss} in
> the preamble. That tells LaTeX to use PostScript fonts.

Yeah, but these packages make use of postscript features. Even the
graphics package makes use of postscript features. It means that the
"device independent output" (.dvi file) doesn't know how to manage these
properties. If xdvi can show the graphics that are included in the .dvi
file is because it calls ghostscript, but a "pure" dvi viewer can not
show a picture.

If that is a issue or not is another question. I think that actually,
everybody is using dvips to obtain the "final" output, so even if we use
these packages nobody will complain.

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela
e-mail: cuenca@ie2.u-psud.fr