Re: MS Word does NOT do this!

Subject: Re: MS Word does NOT do this!
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 20:51:17 CDT

On 9 Aug 2000, Tim LaDuca wrote:

> changes are lost. How is it possible for a application that has
> basically crashed to still save its open document? Being a long time
> Word user I find this completely amazing.

What happens is that the kernal detects that a program is attempting
to access a region of memory it is not allowed to. It sends a signal to
the running application informing the application of this problem. Now
this is a very bad thing for the application to be doing and means
something has gone gone horribally wrong somewhere. Abi intercepts this
signal and attempts to save the file. If abi has not become too corrupted
this works.

I've actually managed to get abi into an infinite loop of segfault -
attempt to save file - segfault - attempt to save file - segfault. etc.

I guess we need a counter to give up after too many segfault signals.

Cheers

Martin