Re: Some random thoughts on usability(OT)

Subject: Re: Some random thoughts on usability(OT)
From: Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 12:05:40 CDT

As the emacs user here, I also disagree. The first thing I turn off in
XEmacs is the stupid toolbar. The next thing to go is the window
decoration. I use the key sequences exclusively, and they are a LOT
faster than menus. In fact, the only reason why I have my emacs menus
enabled is for a "Recent files" menu and a "Buffers" menu. I've
removed the File menu, Edit menu, etc.

That said, I do find the toolbar in AbiWord very handy. This is
becuase it actually gives me useful information. The "B" icon will be
emphasised if I am typing bold text. It's also so commonly used that
it's easier to hit than a menu item. If I bothered memorizing the
keyboard shortcuts, I doubt I would use the toolbar anymore, though.

Not like these opinions reflect those of typical AbiWord users - in
fact I haven't used AbiWord ever since I discovered LaTeX and AUCTeX
mode. So this message is just an opinion, but not necessarily one that
has any value.