RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation (fwd)

Subject: RE: Commit: Re: notes on smart quote implementation (fwd)
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 01:39:22 CDT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> >Can you say more? (Repeat after me: "The real fix is to straighten
> >out the font situation on Unix." :-)
> >--
> >bill@carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter) PGP 0x91865119
> >38 95 1B 69 C9 C6 3D 25 73 46 32 04 69 D6 ED F3
>
> I've never seen such a mess in my life. You guys have no idea how many walls
> I've hit trying to map XAP_UnixFonts onto GnomeFonts to get the Gnome-Print
> backend working (it still doesn't because of the fonts issue, but everything
> else works including "harder" stuff, so WTF??)

Having not looked at the code at all, I make this Peanut Gallery
suggestion.

Is it worth forgetting about the UnixFonts stuff and just sub-class the
gnome front end to use all the gnome font stuff? ie Have some
GnomeUnixFonts classes that are just wrappers around gnome fonts as
implemented in eg. gnumeric?

I know that the Gnome people are working on lots of improvements to font
handling. If we do this now we get to ride on their coattails. The
UnixFonts stuff can just stay as it is until someone gets upset enough to
fix it.

I don't know how much work this is but as a side effect it might buy us
genuine anti-aliased fonts on X too.

Cheers

Martin