Re: Gnome 1.4

Subject: Re: Gnome 1.4
From: Dom Lachowicz (cinamod@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 09:41:49 CDT

First, thanks a *lot* Martin for sending me those mails and keeping me in
the loop.

Secondly, I pledge to have gnome-print, gnome-font, and canvas support in
before their 7 week deadline. If you want a release in 6 or 7 weeks, so be
it. What's really holding back 0.9.0 IMO is the new fields design/code. If
we want to put *that* off to a post 1.0 thing, we can move the current list
and field dialogs into the mainstream and work on debugging those. Version
1.2 of Abi gets an altered file format with the alternate fields and list
code.

I also promise to work on bonobo as best I can. There's a "BonoboCanvasItem"
that'll probably make my life easier, at least for embedding. This should be
entirely xp. Well, I mean this: we can probably do bonobo embedding through
platform specific App and Graphics classes (and possibly Frame). OLE
embedding could probably done by just messing with the Win32 versions of
that code. So the feature Matrix would be incomplete on QNX. It wouldn't
break any code there either, though. We also should be able to embed abi
using the same set of classes. I will not guarantee that bonobo will be
completed.

Finally, I'd really like some help. A "return of Joaquin" would be lovely as
I'm getting swamped with work.

Dom