Re: Gnome 1.4

Subject: Re: Gnome 1.4
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 18:29:47 CDT

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

> First, thanks a *lot* Martin for sending me those mails and keeping me in
> the loop.

No problems. "F","dom" "^X" is easy to type in pine :-)

> Secondly, I pledge to have gnome-print, gnome-font, and canvas support in
> before their 7 week deadline. If you want a release in 6 or 7 weeks, so be
> it.

I mis-understood. Apperently they are aiming for mid-Novemeber. Should be
a piece fo cake eh?

> What's really holding back 0.9.0 IMO is the new fields design/code.

I agree.

> If
> we want to put *that* off to a post 1.0 thing, we can move the current list
> and field dialogs into the mainstream and work on debugging those. Version
> 1.2 of Abi gets an altered file format with the alternate fields and list
> code.

The problem is that fields are badly broken in the present code. You can't
cut and paste them for example. We can't put out a 1.0

> I also promise to work on bonobo as best I can. There's a "BonoboCanvasItem"
> that'll probably make my life easier, at least for embedding. This should be
> entirely xp. Well, I mean this: we can probably do bonobo embedding through
> platform specific App and Graphics classes (and possibly Frame). OLE
> embedding could probably done by just messing with the Win32 versions of
> that code. So the feature Matrix would be incomplete on QNX. It wouldn't
> break any code there either, though. We also should be able to embed abi
> using the same set of classes. I will not guarantee that bonobo will be
> completed.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm certainly looking forward to it.

> Finally, I'd really like some help. A "return of Joaquin" would be lovely as
> I'm getting swamped with work.

Your prayers are answered (see later). Actually this stuff really appeals
to me too. If lists ever gets finished I'd like to work on this too.

I finally got a clue about the "web-enabled applications" buzzword and
what can really be done with bonobo-ized components. Imagine a Java
bonobo-container in browser. This can embed any bonobo-application
anywhere on the network. If abi is embedable you can load up an abi
document on a remote server and edit it at reasonable speed in your local
browser.

This Java container only has to be written once and suddenly everyone with
web access can use any bonobo-components. I'm sure this the reason Sun
etc. have lined up behind GNOME.

There are lots of applications for this technology. It's the new cutting
edge of the web and is where Microsoft wants to get to in 2 years time.

Cheers

Martin