Re: Spell checking

Subject: Re: Spell checking
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 22:18:37 CDT

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, James Alan Brown wrote:

> Re: hash tables:
>
> Look Guys,
>
> I know I have only just joined this group but you know from and outsider you
> all seem so concerned about how quickly to can get what version of AbiWord to
> Gnome rather than something much more to the point and important.
>
> Your building for all the platforms but spelling checker only works for US
> spelling!
>
> (Not much fun for other languages)

I don't think this is true. I'm sure it was fixed about 5 months ago. If
it no longer works we need to fix it. As a general rule you should just
have to setenv your LANG environment variable and abi should pick up
whatever ispell dictionary is available. If it doesn't we have a problem.

For English English I believe en_EN should work.

> Despite my email regarding hash tables problems (went unanswered) I am trying
> my best to find out why it wont take other language hash sets.
>
> I could really do with some help on this as I have spent most of the day
> looking at the problem. It seems to me that the magic 2 problem is a red
> herring.
>
> Illegal format hash table expected magic 0x35 got 0x9602 britishxlg.hash
>
> So I changed the default in ispell.h to 0x35 and It came back with:-
>
> Illegal format hash table expected magic 0x9602 got 0x35 britishxlg.hash
>
> Next: I disabled the magic 2 test and it told me that I had wrong hash table
> version!
>
> Question: Why not as a temp at least get your custom dictionary to offer the
> words your have added to it to the main list offered. So if I type colour and
> its been added into my custom dictionary, as a correctly spelt word, then it
> also gets offered as well as the word color.
>
> Is their any one who can help me get started on sorting out the Spell
> checker, who maybe can give me a background of what has been done?
> Needs to be followed up?

I believe Heinrik Berg git all this sorted out 5 months ago. I assumed it
worked for other languages because no else has complained.

> Why not use the local ispell that most have anyway set up on their system?

We use the local dictionaries. We certainly have many non-English Linux
users on the list. I assumed that spell checking works for them.

Martin