Re: Commit: Page Numbers Dialog

Subject: Re: Commit: Page Numbers Dialog
From: WJCarpenter (bill-abisource@carpenter.ORG)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 13:31:47 CST

Oh, great, another chance for me to display my ignorance. Here is how
I had been thinking about the relationship between headers/footers and
fields. Have I been thinking about this differently from the rest of
the gang (ie, the people actually doing work on it)?

1. Headers and footers are special section types in the ABW format,
but they otherwise look like any other document section. In
particular, they can have many lines, format changes, field elements,
even lists and tables. (The only real constraint should come from some
sanity check that the total size of the header and footer isn't too
big for the overall page size. There might also be some "rules of
engagement" about the order in which things are calculated to break
circular dependencies among the header, footer, and main document
body.)

2. Headers and footers can use fields, and that use is not
particularly different from the use of fields any place else in a
document. Some fields may seem more sensible in a header/footer (eg,
page numbering stuff), but that's our human semantic bias.

3. Dialogs like the one Dom just submitted for page numbers are
"convenience" dialogs. It should ultimately be possible to have
something like "edit header" or "edit footer" that opens a window (or
switches the window or whatever) to the header/footer contents, but
the window otherwise looks a heck of a lot like a normal AbiWord
window, with all the buttons and menus and goop.

Is that how everybody else is thinking about it?