Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer

Subject: Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer
From: Frodo Looijaard (frodol@dds.nl)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 01:11:56 CST

Martin Sevior wrote:

> The code looks really nice and I'm sure will be useful to people
> with Psions. I've applied your patch and built your library. Abi builds
> fine.

That's good to hear! On what platform?

> Where can I find some Psion word files to test the importer with?

I'll upload some tonight and give you an URL.

> Also, if you want this to be part of the official Abi build we will have
> to fork your Psion libaray and put it in the abi tree. Do you want to do
> this?

I have been thinking about this, as Dom said the same. License-wise there
is no problem - libpsiconv is GPL'ed. So the only thing to do would be
to synchronise both CVS archives (is there a way to do this automatically?)
and to change the built system slightly (though wv also uses autoconf
and friends, so I guess you are not opposed to using this outside the
abi tree). So I think it might be a good idea, provided you think it
is worth the trouble - and it would make AbiWord the first Word Processor
ever (that I know of) with native Psion import filters!

Another option would be to make the AbiWord CVS archive the primary
psiconv CVS archive - but I do not want to split the psiconv tool and
the Psion documentation from the primary archive, so there would be
some things in the tree that would not be used by AbiWord.

> By the way we have support for header/footers and styles in abi. We just
> haven't finished implementing the GUI dialogs to drive them.

I could not find the import mechanisms for it; if somebody can point
me in the right direction, I will be very happy (same for importing
bulleted paragraphs).

Thanks,
  Frodo

--