Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer

Subject: Re: [Patch] Psiconv TextEd and Word importer
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 22:38:06 CST

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Frodo Looijaard wrote:

<snip>

> By the way, for those interested: the reason that I started with importing
> support in libpsiconv (which is usually more difficult than exporting),
> is simple: the Psion file formats were nowhere documented. The amusing
> part of it is that Psion itself claimed that they 'did not have it and
> could not create it because there was no file format at all': streams
> are used to write the files. They seemingly think that a computer can
> automagically figure out what all those streams mean, where they start
> and where they stop, but that it is impossible for a human to do so, or
> for any other computer program except their own importer. They were
> wrong ;-)

I love it when smart people think their way out of difficult problems.

> > It's probabally better to have a well maintained library in Abi that you
> > periodically update from your "bleeding edge" library elsewhere. This
> > seems to work for wv.
>
> That's all right with me. We'll just have to prepare a build system,
> throw away the OPT_ABI_PSICONV option and hope libpsiconv will compile
> on all systems (well, the last is the least of my worries; I'll just
> have to remember to backport any fixes to my CVS archive again).

We should do this.

I've had a brief look through the code. It appears to be straight forward
C. I'm sure all our platforms can handle it with a bit of work. It's not
that much code either. If it's OK with you I'd like to get this into the
main Abi tree.

Can you prepare an abi version of your Psion import library that can be
compiled and linked the way wv is? That way all our platforms can read
Psion documents.

Thanks!

Martin